Monday 13 January 2014

' WILD SESAME LEAF with KOREAN PORK .'

Deulkkae Samgyeopsai translates:- (Wild Sesame Leaf with Korean style Pork) , steamed rice , chilli sauce , mini birdseye chilli and garlic chives .

           This particular little asian entremet was inspired by the purchase of these Sesame leafs which I got from a Korean store on Elizabeth St. in the heart of Brisbane city while my eldest son Caleb of five and I were visiting the museum for a dinosaur display. I've seen these leaves before but never used them or tried them in fact. These leaves have the name 'sesame' but are actually not from the sesame plant that bares the sesame seeds. When the leaves are used freshly chopped through salads or used to wrap rice and meats they part an apple and mint flavour giving a fresh light finish. This dish is my take on the Korean street stall food presenting one wrapped and one open to wrap one-self. I have since learnt that this particular plant grows exceptionally well in an aquaponic set-up.                                
            To make this dish I first marinated pork belly in soy sauce, sugar, rice wine vinegar, minced ginger, crushed garlic and red chillies overnight in a ziplock bag in the fridge. The pork was then removed from the bag and pan fried in a hot skillet until sealed brown on both sides this was then placed into a roasting pan and placed into a 190 deg.c. oven for around 15-20 minutes. The pork was then rested for 5 minutes before being sliced to serve. The sauce was made by mixing together in a bowl crushed garlic, ginger, coriander, sesame oil, chilli paste and chopped coriander.                              
           To plate this taster I presented one on the plate made and one for the diner to roll themselves, I first placed a washed fresh wild sesame leaf shiny side up centrally on the plate. Placing a spoon of steamed rice on top accompanied by small pieces of the pork before spooning on some chilli sauce and garnishing with the chopped chives and mini birdseye chilli. I then placed the prepared roll behind that and spooned some chilli sauce on the plate next to them in the shape of a chilli. Next time I would have sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds atop as intended this time but lapsed my mind while plating. To be honest I haven't been impressed with the overall plating of this dish and was going to be scrapped if it were not for the incredible taste and simplicity in preparation. Trying to jazz this one up will be a future challenge as I think it can be a winner if giving the right attention to detail.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment